So I’ve wanted to do a breakfast post for a while now, but I’ve struggled coming up with a recipe worthy of MAN Mondays. For example, what’s manly about fluffy crepes? I mean, they are delicious but it doesn’t exactly capture the essence of masculinity! And as much as I love cold cereal, along with most of the dude world, I’m pretty sure most of you know how to pour milk on crispy bits of sugary delight. So, in my quest for a manly breakfast, I came up with this delicious corned beef hash.
The idea for corned beef hash (to be referred to as CBH from now on… I’m feeling lazy today) came to me as I was reflecting on my childhood days. You see, I was a boy scout in my younger years, and I always loved the breakfasts the scout leaders would come up with on our frequent camping trips. One of those was affectionately known as “monkey brains.” Then – I just thought it was delicious… made from scrambled eggs, potatoes, onions, and some variety of meat. Now – I realize it was just a hash with eggs. So here is MY version of monkey-brains: CBH.
- 1 lb Corned Beef slices (thick slices from your grocery deli is fine)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1-2 jalepenos (depending on your bravery), chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8-10 new potatoes, cubed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cube the corned beef and set aside
- Melt the butter in a skillet and add the onions, jalepenos, and garlic – Cook on medium-heat until tender.
- While the veggies are cooking, get a large pot of water boiling and add the potatoes to the boiling water – Cook for 6-8 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and add all ingredients together, including the corned beef.
- Cook the mixed ingredients together on medium heat for 5-10 minutes. (The corned beef is already cooked, so really, it just needs to be warmed.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with eggs and any other breakfast ingredient you enjoy.
I hope this CBH recipe establishes a place in your family and helps the hair on your chest grow. Excuse me while I show off my knot-tying and pyrotechnic skills while reminiscing on the good old days…
Until next week friends!
Linking up here.