Here’s an easy take on the all-too-famous lemon bars!
Wanna know the secret ingredient? Sweetened condensed milk. Just add that to a little lemon and voila! You have your filling. These are ridiculously easy to whip up. Like ridiculously. But you would never know by how good they are! I got this recipe from The Girl Who Ate Everything and am I ever glad I did.
- 1/2 up butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup oats
- 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farhenheit.
- Mix butter and brown sugar until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking powder, and oats.
- Add oat and flour mixture to butter/sugar mixture and combine well.
- Press half of the resulting mixture into the bottom of an 9×13 inch pan. (Or for thicker bars, put it in an 8×8 pan)
- In another bowl, whisk together sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice, and lemon zest – spread on top of oat mixture.
- Spread the remaining oat mixture over the sweetened condensed milk layer evenly. (Do not pack down, just sprinkle it all on.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown