Jim ‘N Nick’s Cheesy Biscuits

Have any of you ever been to Jim ‘N Nick’s BBQ? I wish it was a nationwide food chain, but sadly, it’s not. Boo. We lived in Alabama for a little bit last year {Yes, this is the third place you’ve heard me talk about us living. Not including where we are currently at. Four moves in a year and half and we’re not dead yet!} and we were there just long enough to get absolutely hooked on Jim ‘N Nick’s. It’s no wonder Alabama is considered one of the most obese state in the nation. {No offense y’all.} They have some of the greatest barbecue I’ve ever had! I can’t even tell you how many nights/weekends/holidays we spent at this fantastic restaurant. It was our go-to place for our night out with friends and our restaurant of choice for date night. Like a lot of BBQ restaurants, one of the best parts was their complimentary appetizer – cheesy biscuits. I’ve seriously dreamed about these since leaving Alabama. This is what led me to try recreating them myself!

I actually tried a couple different recipes out before deciding to share this one with you. The original Jim ‘N Nick’s biscuits have kind of a sweet taste to them. The first recipe I tried called for an entire cup of sugar and ended up tasting more like a dessert than this cheesy goodness. There was no way I was going to tarnish the Jim ‘N Nick’s name and share that garbage with you! The recipe that follows may not taste exactly like the originals {because let’s be honest, something that heavenly is probably impossible to recreate}, but it sure comes pretty dang close. {I found this recipe at Plain Chicken.}

Ingredients:

• 1-1/2 cups Bisquick
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 3 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a muffin tin.
  2. Stir together all ingredients in a medium bowl, until smooth. {Batter will be somewhat runny.}
  3. Fill each section of your muffin tin until about 2/3 of the way full.
  4. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until golden. {Use a toothpick to check center.}
  5. Makes about 8-10 muffins.
These do a pretty dang good job at representing the real thing, if I do say so myself. They’ll have to hold me over until the next time I can get to a Jim ‘N Nicks. Let’s pray it’s sooner than later! Enjoy.
-Sarah
Linking up here.

Comments

1. says

I just found your blog from the FMW link up party – sure glad I did…those look d-lish! Plus, I promised my husband when our house was done being built that I would start cooking more…I need all the recipes I can cook. He thinks I never cooked in our rent house because the kitchen was so secluded and it bored me….I really can’t cook nor do I have recipes. haha. newest follower!!

2. says

If you could look into more copycat recipes, I’d enjoy that. After trying majority of the restaurants here in Altus, we’ve concluded that we’re better off not eating out here… so we’ve decided to start looking for copycat recipes and making our own dinners on the nights we would’ve gone out. I tell you the people here in Altus are *really* lacking in the restaurant department. *sigh*

3. says

Wow! Found this PIN on a friends board and I am sooooo glad I found your blog! :) We love Jim n Nicks the cheese biscuits are great; but, my absolute fav is the chocolate pie!!! Please, please, please post that recipe! I have been searching for a recipe close to theirs and I have not found one even remotely close! :( Jim ‘N Nick’s chocolate is like eating fudge on a crust!!! Maybe I don’t need the recipe….but I sure want it!!

4. says

Oh WOW! We have never been to Jim & Nicks, or Birmingham. I have never had sweet/cheesy before. All I can say is WOW. I followed your recipe exactly. Hubby and I ate all but 1 for dinner. I mean I ate 3 myself and I never do that. These ARE addicting.

Thanks so much for this recipe!

5. says

We eat at Jim and Nicks every time we are in Charleston or Hilton Head Island, SC. Yum! I have a ladies dinner on Friday night and I am to bring bread. These are it. Thanks!

6. says

My son lives and Birmingham and every time I visit Jim and Nicks is a must. Love these little biscuits or muffins and can’t wait to try your recipe! Thanks

7. says

We ate their this weekend and it reminded me how amazing these are. I can’t wait to try this recipe. Just a little bit of information for you out of towners… You can go to their website (www.jimnnicks.com) and buy their cheese biscuit mix. It is pretty expensive and you still have to add cheese, but might be fun for a special treat :)