As a kid, I hated corn bread. I thought corn bread and sourdough bread were an abomination. While I still haven't grown out of my dislike for sourdough, the exact opposite is true for corn bread. I love it now! Give me a piece of warm, freshly made corn bread, with a slab of butter on top, and I am perfectly content.
Sweet Corn Bread
Recipe from ThriveIngredients:
Makes 1 - 9x13 pan
- 4 eggs, whites and yolks seperated
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 cups flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. saltDirections
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine egg yolks, milk, vanilla, and melted butter and stir.
- Mix in cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt - stirring to incorporate, but do not over mix.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Carefully fold them into the batter.
- Pour into a greased 9x13 inch pan and bake for 25-30 minutes. Check with a toothpick to make sure it is cooked through.
This corn bread makes the perfect to side to just about any meal. Try it with our personal favorite - a hearty bowl of chili!