Homemade Twix Bars

Want to know my all around go-to dessert recipe? I present to you, the homemade twix bars.

I don’t care where you take these babies, they’ll be a definite crowd-pleaser. I come home with an empty dish every time. I’ve made these more than a handful of times and I think this was my best batch yet! Don’t mind me as I stuff my face with them while I type this up. (P.S. I found this recipe at King Arthur Flour.)

Ingredients:

• 1 cup salted butter, softened
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2-1/2 cups caramel, cut into small chunks
  • 3 Tbsp. heavy cream
  • 3 cups chocolate chips
  • 1 Tbsp. vegetable shortening (Optional)
Directions:

For the crust:
  1. Preheat oven to 300 degree Fahrenheit.
  2. Spray a 9×13 in pan with cooking spray, or line with parchment paper. Set aside.
  3. In a medium-sized bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, and vanilla.
  4. Add the flour – at first the mixture may seem dry, but will come together quickly.
  5. Take the dough and press it evenly into the pan. (Lightly flouring your fingertips will help with any sticking.)
  6. Prick the crust all over with a fork – this allows steam to escape so the crust will bake evenly with fewer bubbles.
  7. Bake until lightly golden brown on top and edges – about 30-35 minuts.
  8. Remove from the oven and immediately run a knife around the edges to loosen the crust. Set aside to cool completely.
For the caramel layer:
  1. Melt the caramel and cream in a small saucepan over low heat.
  2. Pour the caramel over the cooled crust and set in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to firm up.
For the chocolate layer:
  1. Melt the chocolate in the microwave using ten second increments – stirring every time.
  2. If the chocolate seems too thick, add a tablespoon of shortening to thin it. (Just know that this will leave your end-resulting chocolate a little softer than normal. I don’t use it for this very reason. )
  3. Pour evenly over the chilled caramel layer and spread until it covers the entire surface.
  4. Return to the refrigerator (or freezer) until the chocolate is well set.
  5. Cut and serve.
For some added fun, you could even cut the crust and caramel layer into bars and DIP them in the chocolate instead, to make them resemble the real Twix candy bar. I hope you love them!
-Sarah

Image Map

Image Map

Image Map

Image Map

Comments

1. says

WHAT A GREAT LITTLE BLOG, I LOVE YOUR PHOTOS!! I AM A HIT AND MISS GIRL WITH PHOTOS, SOMETIMES I’M GOOD, OTHERS NOT SO MUCH!! I KEPT SEEING THESE LITTLE COOKIES AND THOUGHT YOU NEED THE RECIPE FOR THESE LIKE YOU NEED A HOLE IN YOUR HEAD, I SHOULD HAVE CLICKED, I WOULD HAVE FOUND A NEW BLOG FRIEND SOONER!! I DID FOLLOW YOU BACK…SO LET THE WILD RUMPUS START!!!
    DEANNE @ DELIGHTFUL CURIOSITY

2. says

I just came from Jamie’s Bloggy Friends blog hop. Your recipe looks awesome. Thanks so much for sharing.

I’m a new follower. Would luv if you stopped by when you have a chance and I look forward to sharing recipes with you.

Joanne

3. says

Twix are my favorite! I can’t wait to try these…as soon as I can eat dairy again! Thanks for following me! Following you now too!

4. says

I made these last week & had a little problem with the caramel separating from the crust. Any idea why that would be? I followed the directions & let the layers cool, etc. Also I made them with semi-sweet chips as that was all I had & they were still super yummy. Thanks for an awesome recipe.

• says

Hmm, that’s weird…I haven’t ever had that problem, but I also think that I’m a little too impatient in letting it all cool. Haha Maybe it will bond better if the crust is still warm? Give it a try and let me know how it turns out, so I can adjust it for others! Thank you for bringing it to my attention! :)

• says

Hi Konnie! I personally, have never used an alternative, but I do know that you can substitute heavy cream with evaporated milk straight across or you can make a mixture of 3 parts milk and 1 part butter and that should do the trick as well. Half and half can also be substituted straight across, but I don’t know if that would upset your tummy also. If you try any of these methods, I would love to hear how it turns out! Thanks for visiting :)

• says

I’m butting in… :) I like to read comments before I make things…My tummy too is often effected by creams and really just milk products in general! I think there is such a small amount in here and as long as you aren’t eating the whole batch you might be ok? BUT on that note I will say I often use alternative for these type of things (because of my tummy, or I just don’t have it!) anyhow, google it and you will come up with a million other things you can use instead and again since its such a small amount you wont even notice! :-) –Just a mom butting in!

5. says

These are delicious- I made them the day I found the recipe! When they’re all done though, the caramel is super hard and it’s difficult to cut them. Any suggestions? Thanks for the recipe!!

6. says

These look good, although the peanut butter twix have always been my favorite, because when they first came out, I couldn’t have caramel due to braces so I fell for the peanut butter ones. Last year we found a wonderful peanut butter recipe so I might have to play around with this crust & see what I come up with. Yummy!

7. says

I made this yesterday and they are delicious! The only problem that I had was that I cut them all into squares for a party tomorrow and put them back into the dish and they have started to slip apart and then stick together. I did wait for the crust to cool completely before putting the caramel on and then let it cool for half an hour before adding the chocolate. Is there a better way to deal with them in terms of serving? These are definitely something I would make again!

8. says

I made these for our 4th of July BBQ, and they were a HUGE hit! I used Worther’s Original caramel candies because that’s all I could find, and it worked out perfectly (2 bags). I also used wheat flour (all I had on hand), and next time I’ll try it with regular All-Purpose, because I didn’t love the texture. But the taste was great, and there wasn’t a single one left over — a stamp of approval if there ever was one! Thanks for the fabulous recipe!!

9. says

A friend linked this recipe on her blog and we just made them tonight. The only change I made was to melt the chocolate on the stove in the same pan I’d used for the caramels. They were a hit with the whole family!

Trackbacks

1. […] was: 4 Ingredient Homemade Twix Bars from Back For Seconds We have our own recipe for Twix bars here, but this recipe is way easier than ours! I may need to whip me up a batch here soon because I am a […]