If you haven't figured it out by now, I love making my own stuff. It's a challenge! I think to myself, "I bet I could make that, and it would taste awesome." Then I go prove/disprove it to myself. This recipe I PROVED.
This recipe makes about 2 cups-ish of sauce (enough for two pizzas).
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 10 oz can diced tomatoes (I like my sauce chunky... if you don't, blend/chop them up more)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 3 fresh basil leaves, minced
- 3 sprigs of fresh oregano, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Combine all ingredients into a pot and mix. Bring sauce to a boil while stirring frequently, then reduce heat to low and let simmer for 45 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- The funny thing about this easy recipe is there IS NO SECOND STEP! It's that easy.
We used this recipe to make a pizza (stay tuned for that recipe!) and we used it as a dip for breadsticks. For both experiences, it was a screamin' success. Next time, I'll try it on spaghetti!
Linking up here.