Welcome to Man Monday folks!
I LOVE me some mac’n’cheese. Remember our crock pot mac and cheese? I seriously can’t get enough of that stuff. I was craving it the other night, but, you know, I just didn’t want to spend 3 hours making it.
So, anywho… Food Network Magazine came out with a cheese special in their March (2013) issue. I found this gem of a recipe inside. The awesome part? It tastes A LOT like our crock pot mac and cheese, but it takes about a quarter of the time! So, back to my craving… I found this recipe, saw that I had all of the ingredients (very simple) and SHABLAM! Successful dinner. I only changed a couple things.
- 8 ounces small pasta shells (hey, I have an idea, how ’bout MACARONI shells… *facepalm*)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 3 cups (yes, you hear right) grated cheddar cheese. You can use 2 – 2 1/2 cups if you don’t mind being called a sissy.
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepperDirections:
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil; add the pasta and cook until al dente. Reserve a little bit of the water, drain the pasta, add the butter and mix until the macs are all buttery.
- Whisk the eggs, evaporated milk, cheese, cayenne, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk until the cheese melts and the sauce thickens. Add the pasta and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently. If the sauce gets a little too thick, add some of your reserved pasta water and mix.