Don't worry though, this recipe is definitely not a fake. It is the best Red Velvet that I really have ever had! Of course, I don't know how anybody could not love a Paula Deen recipe.
For the cupcakes:
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 Tbsp. red food coloring
- 1 tsp. white distilled vinegar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 tsp. cocoa powder
For the frosting:
- 2 - 8oz. pkgs. cream cheese
- 1 cup butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- CUPCAKES: Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Gently beat together the oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and combine well until smooth.
- Line a muffin tin with cupcake papers and fill each one about 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake in oven for 18-20 minutes - test with a toothpick for doneness.
- Remove from oven and cool completely before frosting.
- FROSTING: Mix cream cheese, butter, and vanilla together until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar in small increments, on low speed and beat until incorporated - increase the speed to high and mix until light and fluffy.
- Frost cupcakes with a knife of pastry bag.
Sometimes when I bake cupcakes, I pretend I'm on the Food Network's Cupcake Wars. You should try it. It's more exhilarating than you'd think!
Linking up here: The 36th Avenue, Momnivore's Dilemma, House of Hepworths, Katie's Nesting Spot, Something Swanky, A Glimpse Inside, The Shabby Creek Cottage, Somewhat Simple, The Crafty Blog Stalker, Christina's Adventures, Fireflies and Jellybeans, The Mandatory Mooch, Sweet Little Gals, Delightful Order, Hubby Made Me, Five Little Chefs, Two Yellow Birds Decor, Thrifty 101, Rhinestone Beagle, Real Housewives of Riverton, Domesblissity, Beyond the Picket Fence, It's a Keeper, Made in a Day, Kitchen Fun With My 3 Sons, Not Your Ordinary Recipes, Simply Sweet Home, Simply Designing, It's a Hodgepodge Life, Thirty Handmade Days, Whipperberry, At the Picket Fence, Delicate Construction, Stuff and Nonsense, Happy Hour Projects, French Country Cottage, My Romantic Home, Just Winging It, Run DMT, Foy Update, Tater Tots and Jello, Family Ever After, Too Much Time On My Hands, Be Different Act Normal, Funky Junk Interiors, Young and Crafty, Classy Clutter, Serenity You, Polkadot Pretties, Lovely Crafty Home, KB and Whitesnakes, Gingerbread, and Here.