- 1 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup karo syrup
- 1/8 cup butter
- 1/2 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 bag of pretzel sticks
- 2 bags chocolate chips (I used white chocolate and dyed it)
- Wax paper
- In a medium saucepan, combine brown sugar and karo syrup. Stir until sugar dissolves and let boil one minute.
- Add butter and let it melt completely. Let boil for one minute again.
- Add sweetened condensed milk and stir well to combine. Bring to boil and let boil for one minute again.
- Dip pretzel sticks in resulting caramel (careful not to burn yourself!). Set pretzels on wax paper to let cool. (If you need to, feel free to put them in the refrigerator/freezer.)
- In the meantime, melt 1-1/2 bags of chocolate chips with a tablespoon of shortening in the microwave in 10 second increments - stirring each time it stops. (If your chocolate isn't runny enough or it has seized up, add more shortening.)
- Once melted (if you're going to dye the chocolate, then do it now by adding a few drops of food coloring until desired color), dip the cooled caramel pretzels in the chocolate and place on a new sheet of wax paper.
- After they're cooled, melt the remaining 1/2 bag of chocolate chips and use to drizzle over the chocolate caramel pretzels. (I like to just put it in a Ziploc bag and cut a small hole in the corner to make my own homemade pastry bag. Awesome, I know.)
These are not only delicious, but they make the greatest gifts - which is what we are going to use them for to give to a boy in our Sunday School class whose birthday is today. Hooray!