All of my family/friends know that I'm a little crazy for root beer. I have tried and reviewed over 40 different varieties of the stuff! I got to thinking... a lot of people use soda to marinate their meats, so why not use root beer? Well, I looked it up and found out I wasn't necessarily Christopher Columbus in my exploration of the idea; however, I wanted to try my own recipe. So here it goes.
- 3-4 chicken breasts
- 2 cups of your favorite root beer (or the cheapest stuff, whatever)
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons of hot sauce (if the hot sauce is super strong/hot, use a little less)
- 2 tablespoons of vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
Directions(This is the best part because of how easy it is):
- Mix everything (except chicken) together in a large bowl to make a marinade and let sit while you get the chicken ready.
- Cut your chicken breasts into strips and add to the marinade.
- Stick your bowl in the fridge and let your chicken bathe in the marinade for AT LEAST 4 hours, preferably over night.
- Grill 'em! It doesn't take too long to grill the chicken strips... if your grill is nice and hot, probably only 5-7 minutes or so.
I'll be completely honest...though I'm a grown man, I have a grown-up job, I have a super hot wife, and I hope to own a lightsaber one day, I also have insecurities about sharing a new recipe with others. Think about it - it's nerve racking to try your hardest to make something awesome and present it to a crowd of people! You may as well say, "this is the best I can do, if you hate it, then I guess I suck at life..." Well, we tried this recipe on some guinea pig friends last night. Now, I have some pretty cool friends, and yes they could have just been telling me what I wanted to hear, but every last piece of chicken was devoured. Feel free to adjust the recipe to your liking, but this one is a new hit in our house. Enjoy!